Thursday, November 18, 2004

Slow boil

A couple weeks ago we picked up 101 More Things to do with a Slow Cooker. Great recipe book. We had the shredded beef with root beer sandwiches last night and they were delicious. I suspect we'll be sampling several other recipes over the coming weeks. The chicken with creamy black bean sauce sounds pretty tempting too. I love using our crock pot. I make a pretty mean chili (red and white actually) and we've taken to making roast and beef stew in it as well. It's nice to have some new options. So if you like crock pot cooking, I recommend the recipe book whole heartedly. It's got a pretty good variety and the recipes aren't terribly difficult.

Actually cookbooks rank among some of my favorites. It's next to impossible to have too many and they're such fun to look through. Sure, you probably won't make every recipe in there, but it's fun to drool and dream. Well, assuming you like food to any degree. And I do. I find cooking to be a strange mix of fun and tedium. There are certain aspects of cooking that I don't always enjoy (just about anything involving raw chicken) but it's very easy to get in a cooking zen state of mind that can be a nice counterpoint to an otherwise hectic day.

And we're just getting ready to enter the winter months, quite arguably my favorite cooking time of the year. I must admit a certain predilection for Thanksgiving and the turkey dinner that goes with it...

A couple more Bone volumes have been consumed. There's just one left. And a couple prequel volumes. I really can't say enough Good Things about this series. You really should experience it for yourselves if you at all enjoy the comic form and even if you don't, it's worth picking up and giving a chance.

No comments: