Monday, August 04, 2008

Vampires

No, I didn't suddenly read the tween series of death Twilight books. We caught 30 Days of Night, the vampire movie from last year based on a comic book. You know, it might be easier to start pointing out the movies that aren't based on comic books. At any rate. Vampires. These were in your face neck, you'll be dead vampires. No emo, pretty goth boy, oh I'm so lonely, hey want to share my undeath types here. In other words, it was great. Bloody (hello, vampires), but great. There were some nice Bram Stoker's Dracula references as well as some original ideas (the whole concept of the film - vampires attacking Alaska during the month when there's no sun - being the biggest). They had the sense of isolation pretty well captured and they had some great creepy looking vampires. 2 fangs, err, up.

Saturday was spent at the "wedding reception" (read party) for Andy and Amanda. They had Famous Dave's BBQ (yum!) and a bouncy slide. A good time was had by all. I have the slide burns to prove it. The kids had a great time and Heather and I got to relax and chat with some friends from the old job.

Finished off Kino's Journey as well. Nice thoughtful little series. Probably left as many questions unanswered as it answered, but I suspect that was part of the point. Rarely are all of life's questions answered, that whole, it's the journey, not the destination thing.

So little sister #2 gets into town soon. That will be fun. M is definitely looking forward to the Seven Peaks trip. If only we could get her to suggest some birthday gifts.

And you will notice a distinct lack of commentary on the Dr Who season finale. Mostly because, while this season was a touch better than last season in my opinion, it was only a touch. I kept waiting for an episode like Blink. I don't think there was one. Although the Library episode was close.

4 comments:

J~ said...

I guess I will have to give M a cold if she has no other suggestions! haha... I'll have to think of something!
Do I have to bring all the Twilight books out?

d said...

Eh, your call. Who knows if/when I'll get to read them. No idea if lovely wife wants to read them or not. Bring what you can fit...

Rachel said...

Twilight Rocks. Maybe I could get you each one for Christmas and you can share to have the complete series. hehe. Take M someplace to have a pretty party, hair done, nails you know girly stuff. Love ya have fun together. Miss you and wish we were there. Kids too quiet better go see the mess...

d said...

Considering we don't really have anyone in the right age/gender range for those books, I'd hold off on that for now. :p I think she wants a pool party. I believe we're taking her to the City Pool with a couple friends. She probably could use having her hair done after that.