Friday, August 29, 2008

Web Office

So, today I look at some web based MS Office type replacements. Things like Google Docs. (Remember that earlier discussion about computers running Google OS? This is where that starts.) Honestly I've not really played around with Google Docs much, so this was a nice opportunity. I also looked at a couple competing options. Zoho took a few moments to cooperate, but once it did proved nice as well. Google Docs is a little more clean interface-wise, but Zoho has a nice set of features and I could see using either one in a pinch. Especially as they are web based. Nice bonus. I took a quick peek at ThinkFree, but didn't feel like signing up. So I will just have to guess that it's another similar option.

As for Calendar type options I looked at 30 Boxes, but the shout out is going to go to Remember the Milk my personal favorite. I ran across this online to do manager while reading Upgrade Your Life. It's terribly useful. I don't play with all the features it has (cell phone options and so on), but I do like it. If I used the Google Calendar I could even get them to play together. Nice.

So, yeah, it's pretty amazing what's cropping up in the world of Office replacements. Go take a look.

Update: Posting this thing to my blog was a little on the odd side. It first tried to post to a blog that I'm pretty sure I don't run, so if this post exists twice elsewhere, sorry. Also no title went along for the ride. Small annoyances to be sure (and the ID thing should be sorted now for the future) but still, silliness that should be ironed out.

No comments: