Saturday, August 16, 2008

Hugo and messing with the internet

So, The Invention of Hugo Cabret. Truly wonderful book that. Go and read it. Now. I'll wait. See? Pretty amazing stuff, I told you so. It's a beautiful blend of words, drawings and photos. The way they all work together to tell and draw you into the story is pretty amazing. I've heard they want to turn it into a movie. They shouldn't. While some stories work across mediums, I can't imagine film adding anything to this story. It's already cross medium in the book and unless they're going to go the silent movie route for portions and have words on screen and a few other film bending tricks, it just doesn't make sense to me. I suppose it could be interesting to try, but simply as a film, it doesn't work.

Also, monkeying with some back end stuff, so we'll see how this goes. Hopefully you won't actually notice any differences, I'm just trying to make things easier for me.

Drawing Words and Writing Pictures was also interesting. It's more a classroom/instruction book than I was expecting. It's not like Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud. There's certainly some good stuff, but certainly more for those with a serious interest in doing something about drawing than learning about it.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I have nothing to say to your blog as it is above my head and confuses me. The pics on the otherhand of the "dragon?" or "sea serpent" are adorable. Heather is getting very good. Lots of hugs...