Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Libraries and MySpace

So. Libraries and social networking. As much as I liked the idea of Libraries and wikis, I'm not convinced Libraries and MySpace are two great tastes that taste great together. I suspect the root of this is that I'm old enough to not "get" (and by not get I mean not want to get) MySpace. I probably fall into the crowd that would embrace Facebook a little more as it's the "grownup" version. There are types of social networking that I find amusing and fun (*cough*Twitter*cough*) and could see some Library uses for. (Create a twitter feed that highlights new books coming into the Library.) The slight draw is teens and the Library. But would teens really use a Library MySpace page? I suspect that really the only thing a Library could do is push information to teens through that site. I don't know that it would be terribly interactive - it would probably be limited to functioning simply as another information source - that teens might make use of if they're aware of it.

And I thought I'd take a moment to comment on the rant that was supplied as one look at Libraries and MySpace. I played D&D growing up and had to deal to some extent with the outcry that grew up around it. I certainly knew people who thought it was Evil (please to note the capital 'E'). While I can understand the idea that creating an atmosphere of fear around something is easy and a way to rally the troops, I'd say there are certainly valid concerns about privacy and safety. That can be dealt with by, you know, parenting. As long as there's interest and interaction between the kids and the parents a lot (if not all) of the pitfalls can be avoided.

So to sum up. No that would take too long. Simply put, jury is still out on this one.

No comments: