Friday, August 29, 2008

Rolling a few things up

So, first Google Labs. Based on a couple recommendations in the comments, I checked out Page Creator (Google Sites now) and Google Mars. Upon arriving home the Dashboard Widget will get a glance as well. Google Sites seems like a nice way to muck about with web page development. I didn't dive in real deep, but a lot of the basics were present. I do wonder if you can play around with templates as far as site backgrounds go. Something to look into. Also I wonder just what sorts of things they'll let you get up to as far as storage is concerned on the free version. But still, definitely something to look into. The Mars page was pretty interesting as well. I wonder if Marvin is there somewhere... Again, I really do wonder just when Google will take over the world.

And in Web 2.0 award news, I thought I'd ramble on a little bit about Twitter and Pandora. I've used both for a while now and it was nice to see them get some recognition (although I may have to break down and check out this LastFM place that won). Twitter is micro blogging. You'll either like it or hate it. It's very much about the minutiae of people's lives. So if you have a voyeuristic streak you'll fit right in. (I still think the Library could do with some sort of Twitter feed. But that's just me.)

Pandora lets you set up radio stations based around artists/songs. Plunk in someone you like they'll play a song that you can then rate (more like this, not like this). Then they crossref it with other artists and soon you find yourself listening to someone you've never heard of, but stand a good chance of liking. And you can save the stations and make new ones and. Well, if you like music, this is a pretty nifty place to kill some time.

No comments: