Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Books, a set of sides, and a moment of silence

So, ran across a meme the other day, the 50 Book Challenge. Read 50 books in a year and blog about them as you go through them. I will admit to some curiosity on this, so I may try to tackle it. I don't think I actually go through 50 a year although I certainly could. I'm not clear if there are rules as to what constitutes a book so some of my choices may be a bit grey. It's funny, as I ran across this the other day I took a moment to take stock of what I was currently reading. Normally I only read one book at a time, but at the moment I can actually claim to be in the middle of three. However, two of them may not get finished as I'm not sure I can read much more of either of them. I used to be able to read just about anything, but as I've gotten older I find myself finally running out of patience for some things. It's not really that I claim any sort of literary elitism, I certainly read enough fluff, but there are limits. Currently Eragon and State of Fear are trying my patience. We'll see if I make it through them or not. (The third is actually a non-fiction book - my Mom would be proud... ^_^)

So, again, last year ended and it prompted a plethora of top 10 lists and I am nothing if not occasionally a lemming. So here you go - my top 10 list.

Top 10 condiments (in no particular order):
1. Hot Bone Suckin' Sauce (the best BBQ sauce in the world)
2. Tabasco (plain old regular Tabasco - yum)
3. Arby's Sauce
4. Arby's Horsey Sauce
5. Famous Dave's Rich and Sassy BBQ Sauce (a close second to Bone Suckin' Sauce)
6. Soy Sauce
7. A1 (or alternately A1 with Tabasco)
8. Brazos Legends Rawhide Burning Salsa
9. Yellow mustard (it's a classic - and it doesn't have to be French's)
10. Lehi Mill Cider Syrup (need something sweet to round things out)

And in the spirit of Spinal Tap I believe this list goes to 11.

11. Hershey's WHOPPERS Chocolate Malt Syrup/ Hershey's Special Dark Syrup (can you really pick just one?!)

As the letter 'r' says, "Food is just an excuse to eat condiments." Truer words have never been spoken. I realize the above list is tilted heavily to the spicier side of life, but sometimes, that's what life's all about.

And now for a serious moment, Will Eisner passed away yesterday. A true legend in the comic world. Neil Gaiman's journal has a couple very nice entries talking about Will, so I'll send you there.

No comments: