Monday, March 21, 2005

Sharks and Book 10(ish)

So, I watched Spring Break Shark Attack last night. Sadly, they ruined what should have been a wonderfully cheesy disaster movie with an after school special subplot about date rape. And there weren't nearly enough sharks. In the first hour and a half of the movie (excluding the first 10 minutes or so which I missed) there was one shark attack. It did feature a nice fountain of blood, but then there was nothing for the next hour. It wasn't until the last 1/2 hour that you got the stellar shark attack that the promos promised. Fins everywhere! Screaming coeds! Truly ludicrous dialogue ahoy! There was at least one bad guy with an accent. And a really bad shark metaphor, but other than that it was just a lot of wasted potential. So sad really... There was at least a promo for Locusts!

So, the next few books (well this one and the next one anyway) are by Steven Brust. I'm currently reading the Book of Jhereg collection and I just finished Jhereg. It was a fun little read. Brust has an easygoing style that's pleasant to get lost in. And the characters are interesting and slightly familiar. I'm going to cheat a little and call Jhereg book ten, but Yendi and Teckla - the remaining two books in the collection - will get counted as book eleven. And if I read the other two collections (I suspect I will) they'll count as one each. At any rate, enough book keeping.

My first encounter with Brust was Cowboy Feng's. So far I haven't encountered any thinly veiled social allegories, just an enjoyable series that reads a bit like Fantasy Noir. You could almost claim that Brust is combining elements of film noir and typical fantasy tropes. I don't think you'd be wrong. It'll be a little easier to tell once I'm further into the series. But Jhereg itself was a fun read and left me wanting to read more, so that's good. I may end up spending a bit more time tracking down some of Brust's work.

And that's enough for a Monday.

No comments: