Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Hit the beat now

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat that is. Jungle Beat is a platformer that uses the DK Bongos. Hit the right drum to go right, left to go left, both to jump, and clap to interact with the environment. Deceptively simple that. Which the best games are. The real joy comes in when you try to wrangle every last banana out of a level. Is one hiding over there? Can I jump up there? What if I hit this spot here? Addictive really. I've heard the game is pretty short, but in some ways that works to your advantage. You're not going to want to pound the drums for level after level unless you're a pain glutton. Small doses - a little goes a long way. And if you're like me, you'll find yourself playing a level over and over trying to wrangle one more banana, one more crest. Arrrrggh! Stupid obsessive compulsive must collect everything mania...

Breathe... Breathe... I'm ok now.

It has become quite the hit in the house at the moment. I foresee the rekindling of the great Klonoa 2 war. Back in the day, my wife and I waged quite the competition over Klonoa. Who could get through which level first? Who could collect the 6 puzzle pieces first? And don't get me started about the gems... I suspect the girls might even get involved. Miranda's already plotting her chance to wrest the bongos back into her control. And I can't give much more praise than that.

No comments: