Wednesday, September 15, 2004

You can't take the sky from me...

Firefly is probably my favorite tv show of the last couple years. For the most part I'm terribly disillusioned with the state of tv. Survivor and the whole "reality" tv craze has heralded the end of watchable tv in my opinion. I miss shows with writers and plots and characters. Which explains why every tv show that I've enjoyed over the last several years has ended up cancelled (Firefly, Wonderfalls and Sports Night to name a few). Heaven forbid a show require some actual thought on the part of the audience. And let's make doubly sure that it's not given any time to build an audience. If it's not a ratings powerhouse in the first week it's on, make sure it's cancelled... <sigh>

Anyway. Firefly. Brilliant concept, stellar cast, wonderful writing. The cinematography was really top notch for a tv show. The world was well realized, everyone meshed just right and you could really come to love the characters. I haven't watched either of Joss Whedon's other shows, but as far as I'm concerned Firefly is really his greatest work to date despite the cancellation. Lately we've been watching the episodes with the commentary tracks and that's been a great experience as well.

Serenity (the Firefly movie due out next year) gives us a chance to spend a bit more time in that universe and I can't wait. If you haven't seen the show, pick up the DVDs. They're worth it. (It's a sci-fi show with western trappings in appearance, but in reality it's a show about people trying to get by in a world that is content to ignore them or worse. It's in turns funny, scary, touching and just all around great.)

No comments: