Sunday, September 12, 2004

The Perfect Storm

The Perfect Storm is on tonight. I plan on taping it despite the commercials ruining some of the necessary atmosphere built up in the movie. (Nope, no Tivo here...) I remember reading the book before I saw the movie (on DVD, we didn't make it to the theater for that one, which is a shame as I suspect the big screen really made some of the moments just awesome - in the actual sense of the word, not the 80s lingo) and enjoying it. As much as you can enjoy that story anyway...

One of the things that really got to me in the book was the appearance of one of the fishermen to his son after they were lost at sea. I believe in the afterlife and I suspect that that situation was one in which the father would have been given the opportunity to visit his son however briefly. It was a touching moment and one that really helped drive home the sense of loss those people went through.

I grew up in Kansas and have had my fair share of storms (albeit just plain wind - no water added) and they can be anything from exciting to frightening and are often a mixture of both. When I was in High School, my best friend and I were out in his bright orange Pinto during one of the larger tornados to hit our area. That car rocked pretty good as we drove on one of the overpasses in town.

New England is an area I like quite a bit and every once in a blue moon I think it would be nice to live there. But I'm not sure I could handle the winters. Or the humidity for that matter. It's certainly a wonderful place to visit though.

No comments: