Thursday, September 30, 2004

Today's featured letter: P

Wil Wheaton's blog is always a fine diversion and at the moment he has quite the poker story going on. I realize poker is all the rage at the moment and Texas Hold'em is the hip new thing, so consider this my obligatory nod to current pop culture. Actually poker can be quite fun. Back when I first started college I was home one Christmas and my best friend was working graveyards over at the Texaco. A few of us would show up around 1 or so in the morning and we used to play using the car wash tokens for chips. Good times.

I've been reading Philip Pullman lately. Just finished The Subtle Knife, book two of the His Dark Materials trilogy. It's certainly been interesting reading. I'm not sure if I like it or not at the moment. I'm going to have to wait until I finish The Amber Spyglass to come to any conclusion on the series as a whole. I did enjoy The Golden Compass though. But now that I've finished the second book it's harder to judge them independently - I'm focusing more on the story being told and not the individual pieces.

And I suppose all good things should come in 3s. So for a third 'P' I offer up P.F. Chang's. I enjoy family style dining at Oriental restaurants, and the food there is certainly good. I recommend the Chicken in Black Bean Sauce, the Double Pan Fried Noodles and the Great Wall of Chocolate. Mmmm...

No comments: