Thursday, September 16, 2004

Hit the beat now

I enjoy music. One of the more interesting random quotes I've heard (and alas, I don't have a source for it) is that people that are musically inclined are Beatles fans, while people that don't know much about music like Elvis. I've found this to be true in that generality sort of way. I enjoy the Beatles far more than Elvis and I know a fair bit about music. I've played several instruments over the course of my life and I sing some as well.

Admittedly, lately most of my musical ability is more in the theoretical realm versus practical, but I still love listening to music and I also really enjoy rhythm games (DDR, Frequency/Amplitude, the new Donkey Konga looks great and I suspect I would've enjoyed Samba de Amigo quite a bit as well...). I tend to like music that focuses on instruments a little more than vocals, but there are some great lyrical bands as well. Dido has a great voice and Bono's voice is only improving with time much like Elvis's (just because I prefer the Beatles doesn't mean I hate Elvis ^_^). They Might Be Giants and Barenaked Ladies are pretty much the best at music with fun lyrics. The Pillows rock. Classical is wonderful (Debussy, Pachelbel, Vivaldi, Copeland, Gershwin... ok I'll stop now). I enjoy lots of different types of music. About the only things I can't handle are Country, most of what passes for Pop music any more (admittedly I'm well outside the target demographic for it) and Rap.

I'd like to pick up the cello if I get back to playing an instrument and I wish I still played the piano. I took lessons for about eight years, but it's been several times that since I've tickled the ivories. I don't suppose there's really a point to this post. I haven't pointed out anybody worth keeping an eye on (Jet? Franz Ferdinand?) and the few names I've singled out are hardly secrets any more. I can claim to have been a TMBG fan since they were first around and a friend of mine used to call their dial-a-song quite frequently (from Kansas mind you) but that's only worth so much these days...

No comments: