Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Creativity

This is interesting. At the moment I don't have a whole lot to say about it. One of the reasons I started this blog was to give myself a creative outlet. It's been quite a few years since I've written much of anything and I'd missed it and I wanted an opportunity to get back into some sort of creative groove. There are lots of places you can look for inspiration. I have a book that I found pretty helpful a few years back called Walking on Alligators. There are myriad sites around the web (like this, or this) that offer insights into writing and creativity. And of course friends and family are often quite useful for the bouncing of ideas.

I suspect the best way to be creative is just to actually do something. People that want to write are told to write. Artists need to paint or take pictures or work in whatever medium they're exploring. The mere act of doing something is often pretty good at sparking some sort of creativity. Of course, you may end up with just the beginnings of an idea that really don't go anywhere for quite some time, but seeds can be more useful than fully grown plants sometimes.

It's an interesting topic. And it can be approached from lots of angles and there really aren't a whole lot of "right" and "wrong" steps. Certainly there are general, broad strokes that work for everyone and are necessary, but you've still got to find your own little niche. Your own vein. And that's the great thing. Everybody has something to contribute.

No comments: