Thursday, August 11, 2005

Yakuza movie

Watched Sonatine, the "bonus" movie included with Zatoichi. In a lot of ways I don't know what to make of it. I don't have a lot of experience with the yakuza genre and so can't really pick up on any of the nuances or differences Sonatine might be going for. It was interesting in a lot of ways. For a good chunk of the film my wife and I were wondering if anything were going to happen. And trying our hardest to keep all the characters straight. We mostly succeeded. But not entirely. There are moments of humor and certainly moments of violence. Interestingly, if you watch some of the bonus features, you learn that Takeshi had a series of images in mind and then strung them together into a plot. I think he mostly got it right. Not one I'd watch with any regularity, but it was interesting enough. And I really want one of those paper boxer games...

No comments: