Thursday, December 23, 2004

Christopher Walken Christmas Letters and Holiday Sentiments

This is truly great. The other letters are good, but this one is my favorite.

I don't know that I ever wrote a letter to someone famous. I have vague memories of writing the hostages that came home in the early 80s (it might even have been 1980). The only reason I remember that is that I got to help deliver the letters from our class. I wrote William Goldman to request the two page "reunion scene" from The Princess Bride. That was a clever bit of trickery. I suspect famous people get some truly interesting letters.

And the Christmas holiday weekend begins. The girls are currently at Defcon 2, itching to up the stakes. We're letting them watch The Santa Clause at the moment. While not my favorite Christmas movie, they enjoy it and it has its moments. There are certainly worse choices. I admit a certain loyalty to It's a Wonderful Life. I don't have to watch it every year, but I do have some small amount of affection for it. A Christmas Story also helps ring in the Christmas season. Although ever since that 24 hour marathon a few years ago I haven't felt a burning desire to watch it again... Holiday movies are strange creatures. They subsist almost entirely on emotional manipulation and nostalgia, and yet they certainly help define who we are. And what's a little emotional blackmail between friends anyway. ^_^ Actually holiday movies can provide a nice bit of catharsis and remind us of the things that make life worth living. But then, most of the fine arts can do that - music, art, literature, film. It's amazing how they can bind themselves to little pieces of our lives and forevermore remind us of those things regardless of time or distance.

I hope you all have a wonderful holiday and can spend some time with those you hold dear.

No comments: