Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Awards and intrigue


Community service award
Originally uploaded by dkun.

So, here's some photographic proof of the bit of news I mentioned the other day. Last night at the City Council meeting the mayor presented me with a community service award for the hours I've put in at the library for the last several weeks. Or is it months now? I honestly can't remember.

I got a call from the library director the other day asking my family and I to come to the meeting for the presentation. I was a bit shocked actually. My wife was amused and thought it was pretty neat. The girls of course were terribly impressed. Heh...

At any rate, the moment is gone and I can go back to relative anonymity now.

As for intrigue, we watched The Constant Gardener the other day. I found it quite compelling. My wife and the letter 'r' weren't as impressed, but I suspect that had more to do with a slight bit of misrepresentation. They were expecting James Bond/Jason Bourne spy movie and couldn't make the jump to political intrigue movie. There are a lot of nice little touches throughout the movie that reward careful attention though. As mentioned I thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it readily.

I find it interesting that Le Carré was actually in the British Foreign Service for a while. I'm currently reading The Spy Who Came in from the Cold. I may have found a new author to enjoy.

No comments: