Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Book #4

Finished off The Hidden City by David Eddings. Oddly, I've only ever read the Sparhawk books by Eddings - never got into any of the other series he's written. Not entirely sure what it is about the two trilogies featuring Sparhawk that I enjoy, but I find them a pleasant diversion. The characters are certainly nothing terribly original - they all fit they typical fantasy mold, but there are certain bits of life breathed into them that I find endearing. By the end of that first book, The Diamond Throne you felt like the characters were old friends and you wondered just what they'd get up to next.

Eddings doesn't spend too much time on battle sequences either. You had the siege of Chyrellos in the first trilogy and mostly random skirmishes in the second. I must admit that's one of the few tropes of fantasy lit that really grates on my nerves - endless battle sequences. Political intrigue is a little more the flavor of the day in the Sparhawk books. The one thing that really gets old in the Tamuli is Caalador's "accent" I hate it when people try and write colloquial speech... It can occasionally be done well, but mostly it's just annoying. Dorlin'. Anyway, if you haven't read either The Elenium or The Tamuli, they're worth flipping through as light reading.

No comments: