Thursday, February 17, 2005

Small towns

Watched Napoleon Dynamite last night. It was an interesting movie. Definitely an accurate portrayal of small town high school life. While I didn't grow up in Idaho, I certainly knew people like that in the town where I spent a good chunk of my youth. If you've spent any time in small town America, you'll probably "get" this movie. If you're not, you'll probably wonder why it's popular at all. Oddly the movie is funnier to talk about afterwards than it is to watch. Mostly because it's full of little moments that are just amusing to bring up and remember. Much like Mystery Men...

The cast was all well chosen and performed admirably. In a funny "small world" coincidence, the woman I carpool grew up with the guy that played Kip. And as you'd suspect he was nothing like the character in the movie. Jon Heder did an amazing job as the titular Napoleon. It was interesting to see the little short, "Peluka" (I think was how it was spelled) included on the DVD. As I opted not to listen to the commentary on the short, I am left wondering if it was a character sketch they threw together before they made the movie that blossomed into the final theatrical version or something else.

In a cruel twist of fate, it is (predictably) difficult to track down a copy of Resident Evil 4 for the upcoming ZWoF. We may have to settle for renting the remake of Dawn of the Dead instead. Alas.

No comments: