Sunday, February 27, 2005

Book 6 and the Academy

McSweeney's Enchanted Chamber of Astonishing Stories, edited by Michael Chabon, claims the number 6 spot for the year. And what a book it was. A collection of stories in the tradition of Poe and Weird Tales, it was an absolute joy to read. In turns eerie, haunting, and moving, an amazing group of writers take turns telling stories of things that go bump in the night or places that look like our world except for those niggling little differences.

Usually a collection contains a few stories that don't really resonate with you as well as the others, and while there were certainly a couple pieces that I didn't like as much, I can truly say that every story included was a real gem. If you enjoy stories that evoke a Twilight Zone sort of feel, run out and pick up this collection, it's a great read. I frequently found myself trying to read faster just to find out how things were going to turn out. This is a book that I suspect I'll read many times just to enjoy the stories again.

And so the Oscars were given out. No real surprises. I'm glad to see The Incredibles walk away with Best Animated Feature. Was also glad to see Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind win Best Original Screenplay. Chris Rock was only moderately amusing. I think my favorite comedic bit was where he talked to people at the local movie theater to see what "regular" America was interested in. I can say that I haven't (and won't) seen White Chicks, but I know where they're coming from. And while I'm not terribly interested in Million Dollar Baby, way to go Clint. Put out another western.

And so the weekend says good night...

No comments: