Sunday, October 31, 2004

Happy Halloween

And Halloween has arrived and is just about gone. Hopefully it was a good one for all out there. Lots of candy or scary movies or time with friends and family.

We're still on babywatch much to my wife's growing discomfort. But I suspect that tomorrow will remedy that one way or the other.

Read Running Out of Time by Haddix - the author with the lawsuit against The Village and Shyamalan for plagiarism. I haven't seen the movie yet, so I can't comment on that aspect of things. It was an interesting book though. A very quick read (my wife and I both finished it yesterday) as it's juvenile fiction, but worth spending some time on. In some ways it would make a good stepping stone for a younger child to something like Crichton (although I suspect there are those of you out there that already consider him juvenile fiction...).

Also made it through Endless Nights by Gaiman and a whole slew of artists. It was enjoyable, but not my favorite Sandman piece (I think The Dream Hunters still holds that title). Partially due to the fact that it's a collection and some stories resonate with me better than others I guess. I enjoyed several of the tales to some level, but very few stood out as spectacular. On an unrelated note, it's the first Sandman book I've gotten my wife to read, so that's something. Hopefully she'll pick up The Dream Hunters now as well. She liked the Destruction story in Endless Nights as well as the Destiny piece. She found Dream's bit sad (go figure... heh) and the rest moderately confusing to just not her style. As it was her first exposure, I consider that a success.

No comments: