Sunday, October 17, 2004

50s Flashback

So, I mentioned The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra last night pretty quickly. I just thought I'd take a moment and point out that they did a remarkable job of parodying/paying homage to old 50s sci-fi/horror movies. The acting was all in earnest, the dialogue was dreadful and the props were homemade. It's great. My favorite moment is probably the dinner sequence and Animala is probably my favorite character. And maybe the Skeleton. If you find yourself with a spare afternoon there are certainly worse ways to kill an hour and a half.

Some of the bonus features on the DVD were quite nice as well. There's a nice little featurette with the cast and crew (well the director anyway). And a Q&A session as well as a blooper reel. You can tell the director was a fan of films from that era as well as some of the other low budget horror films. He mentions Roger Corman specifically, but I suspect Sam Raimi would fall into the same camp.

Which allows a segue to Bruce Campbell's book If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a "B" Movie Actor. If you like Campbell's films or are interested in creating your own low budget flick, give this a read. It will either help immensely or bring you back to your senses. Bruce has a really nice writing style and presents a lot of material in an anecdotal style that draws you in quickly. Great book, nice guy.

And that's about all I've got for a Sunday. I will warn you that White Knight/SpaceShipOne photos are imminent. We're getting our film developed finally and I'm going to have to put a couple pictures up.

No comments: