Thursday, October 01, 2009

Last line, some rambling, what? Are you new here?

It's been a while since our last Last Line, so I felt like another one. This time the ol' letter 'd' goes where he's not gone before. Romance novels. At least, I think it's a romance novel. I really don't know and more to the point, don't care. Anyway.

From Distant Dreams (Ribbons of Steel No. 1) by Judith Pella and Tracie Peterson. "Perhaps the dreams were not so distant after all." Now, while I am certainly not a professional writer (and based on the contents here, it's arguable I'm even an amateur) I offer this valuable tip: if the last line of your book is going to contradict the title, you might want to change one of them. Unless you are an artiste and darnitall that's the whole point! Why do you not get my Art?! Begone unworthy cretin!! (Artistes live and breath exclamation points!) Since this not Art (no, really, it's not) I have sincere doubts about the location of these dreams. And I wonder if they're really dreams at all. Perhaps flights of fancy. Or night terrors. I have a sneaking suspicion that's what this book would leave me with...

An on to the rambling. It's October. I'm not entirely certain how that happened. School has started and the weather is starting to finally cooperate, so I suppose it makes sense. But I'm not convinced I'm ready for the roll into the holiday season. It is nice to have a few Halloween decorations up. We need some more tombstones. Perhaps a scarecrow. I'll have to break out some horror movies soon.

I did read Odd and the Frost Giants by Neil Gaiman and it was brilliant. I really enjoy Norse mythology and this was a pretty good tale set in that milieu. It was of course Loki's fault and possibly lessons were learned, but mostly it's a good romp. It's quick and it will leave you wanting a few more stories with the All Father and crew (in fact I checked out a collection of Norse mythology to scratch just that itch). So if you are at all familiar with Thor or want to be, it's a fun little story.

I don't think we've seen any movies lately... Oh wait, I did watch the Ghost in the Shell:SAC movie, Solid State Society and it was good (if a little confusing). It is sort of a retelling of the original Ghost in the Shell film (much like the TV series was a reboot of the film franchise) so that was interesting. It's actually a little hard to call it a retelling as there weren't a lot of plot details that were shared, but if you've read the graphic novel or seen the movies and then the tv stuff you probably understand what I'm trying to say. Which I suspect is very few of you, but this is not Brought to you by the letter 'whoever you are', so skip to the next paragraph already.

At this point I would like to mention that homework is stupid. Especially in the large amounts that the local grade school feels the need to pass along. I have no problems with work being done to teach concepts, but large amounts of it are not helpful. That is all.

Had a rather nice training session on Graphic Novels at the Library yesterday. It focused mostly on the non manga side of things, so lots of things I hadn't heard of. It was fun. And some new titles to look into. I'm sure you'll hear about them in the coming months.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Drew, I just really don't understand you at times. But I do love you! I hear you on the homework front but now that is all the girls are going to have unless I can come up with something different than home school. Happy Halloween and Holidays. We need more decorations too. I love this time of year!

d said...

I really have no idea what you don't understand. Sarcastic ramblings, some books, a few other tangential mentions. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Yeah, good luck on the school front. I can't imagine that's at all fun. It's hard enough when the kids have an expected break, I'd imagine there's a good foot of blood on the floor by now... Oh wait, that's here. And it was an expected break. Hmm. Need more paper towels.