Thursday, October 08, 2009

Couple quick thoughts on Art (and some other things)

The Tap Dogs were in SLC the other day and they put on a free preview of their show here at the Library. It was quite amazing. They were a lot of fun to watch and had it not been so last minute (they were in town that night and the next) and had we not been recovering from several illnesses, I might have gotten lovely wife and myself some tickets to the show. I suspect it was great.

The thing that struck me while I was watching them was how it's important to experience some Art in your life every so often (be that a good book, some nice live music, an art gallery, or a wandering band of tap performers). That's certainly one of the neat things about working at this particular Library - we often have most if not all of those available. So take 5 minutes, head on over to your local Library and see who they have visiting in the not too distant future, you'll be glad you did. (And if the Tap Dogs find their way to your neighborhood, go see them.)

In somewhat related news I have been listening to several of the new remastered Beatles albums. And they are truly amazing as well. I think, so far, my favorite is Help, but that's certainly subject to change as I make my way through them. I would like to have seen them in concert. And don't let anybody tell you that Elvis is better. Because he's not. At all. (Not even close...)

The new kinder, gentler House still has a bit of pixie charm in him and that's good. Can't be all fluffy kittens all the time.

The first horror film of the season will be A Tale of Two Sisters. The original Korean version (yes, more subtitles oh favored niece. You should try them some time). I forget what it was remade as over here, but it's good to be watching something unsettling again. Feel free to suggest horror films to be watched. I think we'll do the Ring remake and possibly The Grudge as well. I actually liked the remakes of those two.

Finished Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. It was good. Since this one wasn't quite so Battle Royale as the original Hunger Games, it was a little easier to enjoy the story on its own merits. The plot twists were all pretty decent and it certainly ends with a good cliffhanger. I look forward to the next book.

Amulet, Book 2 by Kazu Kibuishi was also enjoyable. The story continues to pick up steam and there are some nice moments. And the art is amazing as always.

Well, so very tired. I suspect I had a mild-ish case of the flu over the weekend. I'm still not quite back up to snuff. I could use about a 2 day nap. Alas, those are in seriously short supply. So I suspect this will have to tide you lot over. Go find some Art, or even better, make some. And read a book. And get off my lawn ya durn kids.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I may make favored niece watch movies w/ subtitles since she is being homeschooled now. :) I'm a little tougher w/ her. She is currently reading Uglies and has to discuss it with me, do a project about it and a report. :) Kait is doing the Percy Jackson series. She's done a few things for hers too. I'm reading Hunger Games now. Fun concert, will check our library. Great tips favored Uncle.

J~ said...

I do like House too! And I have liked the Hunger Games series as well. See-- we do have things in common...just not the horror stuff :-)