Thursday, October 29, 2009

In which I tell a fish story, and history mostly repeats itself

First things first, I finished No Door No Windows by Joe Schrieber. I think that's how his name is spelled. I read it based on a review that sold it mostly as a haunted house story featuring a house that had no true corners and no straight lines. This reminded me of House of Leaves and the lovely domicile contained in those pages and so I thought I'd give it a try. It's a decent little horror story if you know what you're getting into. And it's not really a haunted house story. Although it does feature a nicely trippy lodging. It's more a haunted family story. It takes a little to get started, but there are some nice creepy bits and it tells a decent tale although I felt that the ending was a little off. Still, if you're looking for something spooky to read, give it a shot.

I think I'll detail the history repeats itself (mostly) story next. Younger sis will probably remember slamming a door in my face and chipping my tooth. That's the context. So this morning McK and M decide that their room is far too tidy and proceed to free all of their stuffed animals from the tub where we store them. They needed some air or whatever. Lovely wife was none too thrilled and orders an immediate re-incarceration of said animals on the lam. Also the girls were to put some clothes on and basically get ready for school. The things they should have been doing instead of staging fuzzy jailbreaks. A couple minutes later M comes downstairs and informs lovely wife that instead of performing said tasks they were playing Kenichi [anime series about a kid that learns to fight] and McK had hit M with an uppercut and chipped her teeth. Apparently she hit her with the flat of her palm knocking her teeth together (her mouth had been open). And so the two bottom teeth on either side of the middle ones got chipped/jarred pretty good. I guess one of them has a nice chip knocked off, I don't know about the other. Oh and they're permanent teeth as well, natch. Lovely wife then morphs into terrible visage of motherly justice, inflicts some small harm upon McK and basically proceeds to lose it. (Yelling, weeping, gnashing of teeth, Old Testament type stuff)

After she manages to have M try eating (bread of all things, I mean who tests chipped teeth with bread?) she ferries them off to school. After I get the email detailing this I give her a call and try to sort out what's going on. She then calls M to see how eating breakfast went (I had Captain Crunch but chewed on the other side and I had juice but I drink through a straw... Seriously what kind of tests are these?) So we now have a dentist appointment scheduled for tomorrow morning first thing. Fortunately (or not) we just got school pictures back, so I guess this won't be detailed any time soon. Although I may have to take a picture and attempt to update the post later. I feel bad for all those involved, but mostly chalk it up to every family having this exact same story to tell. Well ok, their kids probably weren't aping random cartoons from Japan (although that's certainly more prevalent now - Bakugan and Pokemon and Yugi-oh say hi)
but still...

As for the fish story. Lovely wife made Parmesan Tilapia the other night (McK still calls it Parmesan chicken) and it was all duly consumed with G trying to steal pieces from everyone else. Apparently he likes his Tilapia. The next day he asked for something from the store, but lovely wife informed him it wasn't shopping day.

"Are you going food shopping on Thursday?" G asks.

"Yes."

"You don't need to shop for food. We can have fish for dinner. Fish fish fish fish fish."

"I don't think we want to have fish every night." She opined.

"Hmm...."

Then later for lunch G decided he wanted chicken noodle soup. Lovely wife prepares said soup.

"Hey, this is chicken soup."

"Yes, that's what you asked for."

"I will pretend it's fish soup. Fish meat." *bite* "Fish meat." *bite*

And so on. As mentioned little dude apparently loves his fish (oh and guess what he asked for for his upcoming birthday dinner...)

Oh and Zombieland is awesome. Best. Cameo. Ever. Plus some really decent lines and, well, zombies. Plus a quest for Twinkies. Yeah, it's really that good.

And this cracks me up.

No comments: