Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Book 47 and much other stuff

The Dragon Scroll, by I. J. Parker is billed as a Historical Japanese mystery novel. Apparently it's the third in a series (although I believe it takes place before the other two). It was a fun read. Nothing terribly deep and I wouldn't call it terribly historical (if you're looking for something on Japanese history) but the mystery part was fun. It's relatively easy to see whodunnit, but the casual pace of the story was charming. I enjoy stories that take their time and let you get to know the characters. So consider it recommended, but almost in spite of what it's billed as.

The recent Spielberg War of the Worlds remake was quite good. I liked it a lot. The acting was good and the effects were pretty amazing. And they did a good job of telling the story instead of just existing for the sake of being effects. The sequence with Tim Robbins was pretty chilling and rather intense.

It's funny, I've talked to several people that have seen this and there are a lot of mixed opinions. Many of them deal with the ending. For me, the ending is actually is one of the better aspects of the movie. It's a science fiction movie. And the ending reinforces that. So I hve no problems. The only real problem with the ending relates to the son...

The Skeleton Key was fun. Predictable, atmospheric fun. I've been to Louisiana and this movie reminded me of just how foreign places in America can be. It's worth seeing just for the sense of place. I'm glad it exists as a snapshot of pre-Katrina Louisiana. The extras on the DVD were pretty amusing as well. A Gumbo recipe and some stories read or told by the cast. Plus the usual behind the scenes stuff. It was a nice slightly eerie little tale.

Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot is a much better game with more people. It's paced a little better and the gameplay isn't quite as single-mindedly vicious. You can spread the evil. The ending is still pretty arbitrary, but I'm still of the opinion that the game is supposed to be more about playing than winning.

It's officially winter. There is far too much snow outside and I have the backache to prove it. Shoveling is just plain punishment for something... But it is pretty. I'm glad I live somewhere that I can enjoy the snow. Good ol' Winter.

And I finished Shadow of the Colossus (I told you there was a lot of stuff to cover.) It's a more depressing game than Ico, but that's to its credit in a lot of ways. It's always a joy when a game can evoke a strong emotional response and there are a couple pretty strong moments at the end of the game. It's funny, you could probably show someone the entire story line of the game in about an hour or so, but the impact is a lot stronger if you've been involved, fighting your way through the events that unfold. If you have a PS2, this game should be in your collection, it's that simple. Plus there are some pretty intriguing ties with Ico. This game wasn't really billed as a sequel, and it's not, but it is definitely in the same world and there are some great rewards if you're familiar with the other game. In fact, the ending probably isn't quite as powerful if you're not... (But it's still a beautiful experience.)

No comments: