Thursday, November 03, 2005

Book 43

The Dream Hunters by Neil Gaiman and Yoshitaka Amano comes in at number 43. Unlike a lot of Gaiman's fans, the Sandman series was not my introduction to his work. I'd heard of it, but had never read it. It wasn't until I'd read several of his novels and short stories that I finally sought out the famous comic series. The Dream Hunters is probably my favorite standalone volume, but there are certainly bits of the entire series that I enjoy more. But still, Sandman folk tale. Amano art. Can't really ask for too much more than that.

When my wife and I went to hear Gaiman speak a couple years ago, he mentioned that the story he put in the back of The Dream Hunters explaining its origin was a hoax. He'd written the story himself and then made up the back story. Not unlike William Goldman's story about The Princess Bride. Those wacky writers.

My wife is currently making her way through Anansi Boys. I've seen a brief smile on her face most of the time she's been reading it, so I suspect she's enjoying it.

I've started making my way through Golden Sun: The Lost Age. A worthy sequel to a nice RPG on the Gameboy. If you're looking for a fairly traditional console RPG for a handheld, you really can't go wrong with this series.

And I hereby declare this weekend Movie Weekend. I plan on spending far too much money on movies and then watching them. And doing little else. Popcorn. Soda. Couch. Woo hoo!

No comments: