Tuesday, September 06, 2005

And we're back

And the long weekend has come to a close. It seems we are unable to have an end of summer activity that doesn't end in sunburn. Last year the beach trip resulted in massive burns and kidney stones for my wife. This year we went to watch border collies herd sheep. Hopefully we can skip the kidney stones. I was a little surprised at how much fun it was to watch the show, but there you go. Plus there was plenty of food and some Scottish Highland games going on in the background. I suppose we should buy some sheep for Ein to practice with. It would be pretty amusing to see how she handles something like that.

Sahara ended up being a lot of fun. If you've read a Clive Cussler book, you know what to expect. And despite my initial wincing over the casting decisions, things worked out. The banter and chemistry between Steve Zahn and Matthew McConaughey was actually just about spot on. They still don't really fit the physical descriptions, but they fit the part. And I have no idea why everyone hated Penelope Cruz in this movie. I didn't find her accent that hard to follow and I think her acting was fine for the role she was cast in. Besides, it's an adaptation of a Cussler book. What are you expecting here? So, yeah, Sahara was just what it should have been. Could be the beginnings of an interesting franchise.

White Noise, however, was mediocrity in it's purest form. In theory it's a spooky idea. In reality not so much. I suspect part of the problem lies with my own personal beliefs on the afterlife and how we interact with it. The movie tries (mostly) to play it straight - up until the end - and those sections work alright. I was able, for a while, to just sit back and watch the show, but ultimately I just couldn't buy it and my own biases ruined any real enjoyment that might have been had. I think the problem stemmed from the fact that the movie tried to play it straight - since it was serious, my own world views felt no need to take a hike so I could just watch. And so, in some ways, the ending lost a lot of its impact.

If nothing else, it is an interesting topic. My friends and I messed around with Ouija boards for a bit (well ok, a very small bit) and my wife and her mother have some interest in psychics and communication with those who have passed on. I certainly believe that we continue to exist and I think that communication is possible. But it follows very strict rules. And when you try to just randomly interact with that world, you're asking for trouble. Part of me wonders if the end of the movie is meant to add credence to that view. While on the one hand he helped someone, it wasn't necessarily worth it.

And I think I'm going to have to rent The Longest Yard. It looks funny...

No comments: