Sunday, June 26, 2005

Book 27

Finished The Beach by Alex Garland. Odd combination of Lord of the Flies and something like Utopia. Garland's writing style is enjoyable and he creates characters that are interesting to follow, but overall I'm not sure I'd recommend this book. We'll see how The Tesseract goes next. Maybe that will help cement a few things. I suspect that The Coma will end up being my favorite story by him. (Although the 28 Days Later screenplay would be a close second...)

I'm not entirely sure what puts me off The Beach. The drug use got a bit old. There were some good bits though. Almost anything involving Keaty, Jed or Mister Duck was worthwhile. I suppose part of it is that I just don't really identify with that subset of my generation. That and I'm not entirely certain that is my generation. I'm probably just old enough that I fall into that group right before "Gen X". But the idea that you could find a quiet, untouched place is an interesting theme worth exploring. I may have to track down Lost Horizon as I've heard it looks at some of the same things. It's interesting to me that some of the classics are now coming out repackaged for a new group of people...

No comments: