Thursday, January 07, 2010

In which I try (and fail) to gather my thoughts

I finished reading Tokyo Vice by Jake Adelstein. It was a pretty interesting read. A fascinating look at the underworld of Japan from a foreign reporter's perspective. Jake Adelstein was the only foreigner to get a job for the Japanese press covering the police beat. He tells some funny stories and some awful stories. Worth reading if you like crime stories or have an interest in Japan. Note: not all the stories are for everyone and they don't all end well either.

I have also read a few more volumes of 20th Century Boys by Naoki Urasawa. I'm really enjoying it. I think I might like it a little better than Monster, but that remains to be seen. It's a little confusing at first, but soon settles down a bit. That or I got used to it. Follow Kenji as he tries to save the world from someone that's acting out a doomsday scenario he and his friends came up with when they were kids.

Boardgame playing is down a bit (although we've gotten in a little more Pitchcar) as lovely wife and I have started an exercise regimen in the evenings. So EA Active has been taking up a fair amount of our time. I like it. It definitely seems to be a better workout than Wii Fit. We'll see how well we keep up a routine (I've got a bit of a sinus thing at the moment that may make exercising a little more difficult than it should be...). We're also playing a lot of New Super Mario Bros. Wii and I'm deep in the depths of Silent Hill. So, yeah. It may be a bit before you get to see pretty boardgame pictures.

We're settling in to the new year. Kids are back at school and I mostly worked through the holidays so no real adjustment there either. I've not really bothered with resolutions. I hope to keep working out and that's about it. Although I suppose I should try to eat better too. (I think we're going to try a ginger soy salmon recipe this week that' supposed to be like something they make at PF Chang's, I'll let you know how that turns out.) Of course we got a fryer recently so that will undermine those efforts as I really want to try making English chips (potato wedges to you heathens). Mmm salt and vinegar and potatoes and... ^_^ Well that and a bloomin' onion and maybe donuts and... heh.

I'm waiting to see if rumors of the Apple iTablet materialize in an actual product. Might have to sell one of the kids to acquire one. Ok, two of the kids. I'm sure lovely wife won't mind. Well, maybe if I substitute the dog for one of the kids...

As you can see, I've not really got anything this week and aforementioned head cold is keeping me from focusing my thoughts. So off to the wilds of the internet with you. (Note: those links should most likely not be viewed by people with no sense of humor or overly sensitive dispositions. Or kids. Yeah, no kids.)

1 comment:

Jason Thompson said...

Pardon the random comment, but since you write about both manga and gaming, I thought you might be interested in this. (If not, apologies...! -_-;; )

I'm the author of an upcoming graphic novel, "King of RPGs," and I wanted to know your address so I could send you a review copy. The book is a 240-page gaming/RPG/D&D black comedy published by Del Rey Manga, and it comes out on January 19.

If you'd like to see some art and sample pages, there's info on http://www.kingofrpgs.com/ , but please feel free to email me at "jason@sonic.net"! I'd love to send you a real-world, physical comp copy.