Thursday, September 01, 2011

Bleak outlooks

Feed (the Mira Grant book this time) was quite excellent. In fact I've got the sequel waiting for me at the moment. I wasn't sure a story about some bloggers following a potential presidential candidate on the campaign trail in a post zombie apocalypse world would be that interesting, but it really was. It's actually a pretty good page turner. I really enjoyed the banter between the main characters. It'll be interesting to see how the sequel compares. Take that as an ominous warning if you will. I was a touch annoyed with the driving force behind the main villain (not the zombies, we know what drives zombies) but I can't honestly say I'm surprised by it.

Lev Grossman's The Magician King is something of a quandary for me. I really enjoyed the book up until the ending. And that ending... This might well be one of the bleakest books I think I've read in a long time. When he originally wrote The Magicians it was with the idea of doing Harry Potter/Narnia for grown ups (yes this is a generalization). This time I think he's just out to make sure that nothing good ever happens to anybody. I'm not convinced he's trying to place realistic outcomes on fantasy tropes so much as seeing what would happen if everything that could go wrong does. Again, I really did enjoy reading the book, this one's a page turner as well, but if you don't like depressing endings, stay far far away.

I like John le Carre's espionage style stories. We've started watching the BBC version of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. I'm hoping it picks up a little as the first episode was a little slow. I realize that's sort of par for the course when it comes to espionage (as opposed to spy thriller) but still, a little more plot a little less set up.

Oh and one more for the bleak files. This is both beautiful and heartbreaking. Haunting, really.

The baked good count is now at 1. (And there have been threats of more!) Just saying.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

ooh what was it? was it a good 1?

d said...

I assume you mean the baked good. Some double chocolate cherry cookies. They were indeed edible.