Thursday, June 02, 2011

More thoughts on giant robots and grave robbing and evil plans

I have indeed started watching the TV series version of Evangelion again. I'm not certain I can pinpoint why this series is fascinating me at the moment, but it is. I suppose it might be the way it subverts the traditional giant robot genre (ok, not really) or it might be the philosophical  treatise it weaves on why we need each other (definitely not) it's probably just the dance dance giant robot sequence in one of the upcoming episodes...

I have finished Rotters by Daniel Kraus. Yes, it's a book about grave robbing. And yes it can be pretty disgusting at times, but boy is it awesome. Little sis needs to hit the local library and check this one out. Joey Crouch loses his Mom at the beginning of the book and, per her wishes, is sent to live with the Dad he barely knows exists. Once in the tiny town he calls home he discovers that the townsfolk are none too impressed with his Father and that overshadows a lot of his life at school. The beginning of the book sets up the pieces - Joey, his Dad, his Dad's profession, the kids at school, the teachers, etc. and then the rest of the book is a serious roller coaster of events that you just can't quite believe. Just when you think the story has topped out at the craziest thing that can happen something else comes along and demolishes it. Rotters builds to a crescendo of ... well that would be telling, but believe me, it's a crescendo. And it's one heck of a ride. So, if you can stomach the subject matter, definitely give this one a go.

The roof is finished. We managed to make use of the two sunny days we had and got it done. So yay for that. Also a happy birthday to lovely wife's Mom. Wish you were here, we'd have a party. Dad's birthday is coming up quick (and he'll be out soon so we can have something similar to a party) and in between is some sort of anniversary or something. I forget.

16 years.

Actually, there was an interesting bit in Reality is Broken (the current book I'm reading - save the world through gaming says Jane McGonigal) about how one of the emotions that gaming encourages and we need is "happy embarrassment". That teasing we do to those we trust. So apparently there is a purpose to all that trash talking. See dear? I'm doing it for your own good. Who knew?

Which leads to another funny story. Here, allow me to cut and paste from a nightmare McK had early this morning (while changing pronouns):

Apparently I told lovely wife that I had a big gift for her for our anniversary and when she asked what it was, I said a divorce and gave her the weekend to pack up and move out of the house, taking M and G with her and leaving Mck with me. Dream then jumps to thanksgiving where we get together as a family one last time and I announce I am getting remarried and McK hates my girlfriend.

Which, ok, bizarre nightmare spawned by one too many jokes at the dinner table or a friend going through it, or something she read, or one too many viewings of the Parent Trap or whatever. The funny bit was my reply to lovely wife where I told her that if I was really mean I'd use me secret dream knowledge for EVIL and get home tonight and at dinner announce I had a big gift for her for our anniversary. I can't decide if I'm that evil or not. But it still makes me chuckle a little bit to think about. So I'm at least a little evil. But we all knew that.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Happy 16th sweetie. Love you!