Thursday, May 26, 2011

Giant robots, virtual worlds, it all ends in the grave

Last night lovely wife and I watched Summer Wars, an anime movie by the guy that did The Girl Who Leapt through Time. I liked this one quite a bit. It's got some great messages about family and life. Natsuki hires Kenji for a four day summer job (as her fiance he finds out a little too late). While meeting and dealing with her family (led by a most awesome 90 year old Great Grandmother) the virtual world OZ that runs pretty much the entire planet comes under attack. And Kenji seems to be at fault for that as well. There's a fair amount of humor and tension and Hanafuda cards. It really is worth seeing. Even if that description doesn't fill you with excitement (Hanafuda cards! Are you emotionally dead?!) Lovely wife recommends it as well, so there you go.

A while back (years) we watched Neon Genesis Evangelion, an anime series that turned the Giant Robot genre on its head. I found it pretty fascinating even though it got really strange towards the end. It didn't help that Gainax (the studio creating the show) ran out of money and lots of corners were cut and so on. There were a couple movies that attempted to summarize and retell the ending of the TV show, but those didn't really clear things up either. So they've once again decided to try their hand at telling this story. They're rebuilding Evangelion over the course of 4 movies. The first two are currently out on DVD. 1.11 - You Are (Not) Alone and 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance. The first movie follows the plot of the TV series pretty closely. The second starts to deviate in significant ways and ends on one heck of a cliffhanger. I've found them to be a lot of fun to watch. The second one was better in my opinion - it features a lot of humor and a lot of truly shocking/heart wrenching moments. The problem is, I think you almost have to have seen the TV show to really appreciate it. I'm really not sure what a complete new comer would make of it. Heck, I don't remember all the details and as I did a little digging on Wikipedia there are things that suddenly make a lot more sense as I look back at them. I may have to watch the original series again.

I'll save most of my thoughts for when I finish, but Rotters is awesome. It's a book about grave robbing. (Did I mention it's awesome?)

We need to replace our roof. Unfortunately this means tearing off the old roof and putting new shingles on. Normally this wouldn't be a problem. Except we're having the weirdest Spring we've had in years. A lot of rain and so on. So at the moment it's half done. We managed to get the lower roof torn down and re-shingled. Now we just need a good enough break in the weather we can do the last half... I am glad I'm not a roofer. I was extremely sore that next day. Honestly I'm impressed I made it up on the roof. Really don't like heights. I've narrowed it down a touch more to really not liking ladders.

Thoughts and prayers go out to little sis and family and letter 'r' and family. You could all use a break.

Apparently McK is enjoying softball. And has managed to score a couple points.

No comments: