Thursday, June 16, 2011

Camping, random places on the net

First, I'll just leave these here, shall I? Thing 1 and Thing 2. I should also point out that there's a lot of funny stuff if you hit the main page for Thing 2.

So. I ventured out into the wild and survived the Fathers and Sons camp out over the weekend. G was pleased. The camp site was actually pretty nice - we were in a group spot that had well manicured grass and some tables and a fire pit and so on. There was a nice little pavilion with restrooms and a man made reservoir sort of thing that you could theoretically swim or fish in. I got roped into telling a bear story for the evening get together. It was very last minute. The tent we were in was nice, it even had a little "porch" area that was screened in. Very cool. The air mattress we brought along could have used a little more air in it and I would have liked to have gotten some (any) sleep that night, but overall it was not the worst experience ever.

We picked up Hive for our anniversary. Well, lovely wife ended up giving it to me, but whatever. After a rather argumentative first game we've managed to get things sorted out a bit. It's actually pretty fun and is one of those games you can take anywhere. In fact we played it at JCWs the other night. It's a two player game in which you each have a set of pieces that represent various bugs. The bee piece is your important piece and the object is to surround your opponent's bee with pieces of your color. There are 4 different bugs (not counting the bee or the expansion pieces) that you can use in various ways to accomplish this (you have several of each type). The pieces are hexagonal, so you'll eventually need 6 of them to win the game. You take turns placing pieces or moving the existing ones around, so the "board" is built over the course of the game. It's a decent little strategy game. McK is actually pretty good at it and has managed some wins over lovely wife.

I finished off Evangelion. I suspect most people (and possibly myself in the future) can simply watch the first 24 episodes and call it good. 25 and 26 offer a navel-gaze-y alternate take to the ending. Or expansion of the ending. Death and Rebirth is mostly pointless if you have access to the TV series and End of EvangelionEnd of Evangelion does offer some relatively interesting plotting that happens where the TV series left off, but then also goes all navel gaze-y. I understand why those parts do have some meaning, especially in context of the show as a whole, but I prefer the straight story telling. So yeah, fun subversion of the giant robot genre, but not really for everyone. Especially the end bits. I like it. And the revamp the new movies are doing.

Vacation looms in my future. Dad should be out soon and that will be fun. I think I may try taking him to the driving range and hitting a bucket of balls. It will be nice to have a bit of a break. I could use one.

No comments: