Thursday, February 19, 2009

Recently consumed

Been a bit and we've managed to go through a few new things. So on with that show.

Peeps was great. It's a fun twist on the vampire mythology that bothers to pay its dues (there is no sparkling here people) while offering something new. Every other chapter gives you a lovely look at the parasites that make our world so interesting. Little sis would probably find the discussion of Crohn's interesting. Although I think we talked about it already. At any rate, if you've liked any of Westerfeld's other books, you'll like this one. So far he's batting 1000 for me. I've liked everything of his I've read. He's got a really easy-going style that tends to drag me in.

The Fall is a rather pretty movie that hides a pretty serious story through some really nice visuals. It's the story of a story told by one of the first stuntmen to a little girl. I won't go into more detail than that. But if you run across it, give it a go. You could certainly do worse.

Coloretto is the card game that Zooloretto was loosely based on. Ran across a reasonably priced copy and picked it up. And am very glad I did. We passed a pretty fun weekend playing this and Jungle Speed (which I'll talk about next). It's basically a collection game in which you want to collect more cards of certain colors. There are 7 colors in the game (normally, depending on number of players) and you will get to add points to your score for collecting 3 of them. But you have to deduct points for cards collected in any of the other colors. On your turn you'll either draw a card and place it in a row, or take one of the rows of cards on the table (it's this draw/place or take mechanic that was used in Zooloretto). You get to mess with the other players by placing colors they won't want in rows that they will. Pretty fun. Given the choice between the two Coloretto might come out a little ahead as it's simpler and certainly easier to set up. They're both good though.

The aforementioned Jungle Speed is much like spoons. You place a little wooden idol in the middle of the table, divvy up the cards and then take turns turning them over one by one. When a match is turned over or a special action card shows up you're most likely going to be grabbing for the idol. The trick is the symbols on the cards are very similar in a lot of instances and if you grab at the wrong time you'll be collecting lots of cards. This is bad. You don't want cards. Cards no good. No cards good. This is a great game for a group of friends that will most likely end in bloodshed and tears. And possibly lumps from the wooden idol that you're either throwing at someone or hitting yourself in the head with as you realize you've once again picked it up at the wrong time. Highly recommended. Supposedly there will be an expansion with all new symbols in case you get too good at recognizing the deck it comes with.

Samba de Amigo for the Wii is a port of the old Dreamcast game. You use the remotes as maracas and shake your way through some 40 latin tinged tunes. Shake shake shake... Also highly recommended. This game is great. And will be forever referred to as the "shake shake" game as it is dubbed by G.

And honestly I'm probably forgetting some things. We had a pretty good holiday weekend. Went and visited our friends up in Garland for our annual trip. Much gaming and visiting was had. And the kids managed to get along. I think there were only a few air hockey inspired arguments/accidents. We played some Rock Band along with the other games. As well as some Mario Kart Wii I may need to pick that game up if I can find it cheap. It's growing on me.

In other news, little sis will be having a girl (as mentioned on her blog linked over yonder). She was sorely disappointed, but now she can name her Krystal Pepsi and seek an endorsement. I'm sure Pepsi will go for it.

And, yeah, I think that's about enough for now.

4 comments:

J~ said...

FUNNY name-- be careful she may like it! Better get my gaming going so I am ready for it all when I come visit!

Rachel said...

I actually do like it. Krazy me. :) I wonder if I could get Pepsi to go along. Heaven knows I need money. 5 girls, 5 proms, 5 weddings, ugh.

d said...

I get a finder's fee if it goes through. I'll only take 10%. ^_^

HEROBITS said...

Strategy is the name of the game. You got to have a sharp mind to defeat your opponent. Never underestimate your foe otherwise it's game over. Plot your tactics just like HEROBIT's Power-Up|Attack|Resist|Damage|Draw Phase game play (a new card game soon to be released on June 21, 2009.) Play with the deception but never let it dupe you.