Thursday, October 27, 2005

Book 41

Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman is a true joy to read. In fact, it's probably one of my favorite novels by him. I suspect I still like Neverwhere a touch more, but it's close. Anansi was one of the more enjoyable side characters in American Gods and it's good to see him in his element - a story of his own. After all, all stories are Anansi stories, and this one is a corker. If you enjoy folklore and mythology, you can't really go wrong with Gaiman. Once again he weaves facets of the old world into settings from the new. I don't really know of any other author with such a grasp of mythology. Truly a wonderful book.

In fact, I enjoyed the book so much that our recent trip to the library resulted in the procurement of a couple Anansi stories. If you can track down Anansi and the Talking Melon, I highly recommend it. Anansi the Spider is also a nice story, albeit a little more sedate. I'll have to try and track down a collection. It would also be interesting to compare some of the Trickster stories...

My wife is going to plug through The Penultimate Peril by Lemony Snicket. I occasionally wonder if I've missed something by skipping out on that series. I skimmed the last few pages of this one to see where things are heading for the big finale, looks interesting. I suspect Handler found his bearings a book or so after I quit as that was when an actual plot seemed to emerge. Maybe after they're all out I'll try gunning through them. That or I'll just have my wife fill me in on the details. And then the kids.

Speaking of Handler, I believe there's a new McSweeney's collection out featuring some of his work. Children's stories this go round. Should be interesting.

Side note: Smallville? Really, really silly. And I can't believe they hired some band to redo Bela Lugosi's Dead. Well, ok, I can't believe they took the result they got... Poor Bauhaus.

No comments: