Monday, October 24, 2005

Book 40, photos and other random thoughts

Photos first. This is my photostream over at Flickr. There are quite a few new shots as we just got back from vacation and I 1) used the digital camera and 2) actually bothered to upload some photos. So there.

Book 40 was Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami. I like Murakami's stuff. This one is broken up into two interwoven stories. Hard Boiled Wonderland follows the main protagonist as he gets caught up in all sorts of intrigue. End of the World follows him a little deeper into his own subconscious world. It's a mind boggling little tale on a few levels. I certainly don't claim to understand all of it. But I did enjoy it. It would be interesting to read each story as a whole (they're interspersed in the novel).

So we got back from our trip. It was far too short and I'm certainly not ready to go back to work. Fortunately I still have tomorrow off - I needed a day to unwind from all of the travel. It was great getting to wander around DC again. The FDR memorial was probably my favorite in spite of non-working waterfalls. The Korean memorial is rather eerie. And it was nice wandering around the Mall and seeing parts of the Smithsonian. I especially enjoyed the Freer Gallery. They had a really nice China/Japan exhibit. My goofy souvenir for the trip was a sumi-e board that lets you draw in what looks like sumi-e ink. It evaporates and you can draw something else.

The Capon portion of the trip was restful. We had some rain so we didn't really try to do a lot. I just enjoyed sitting and kicking but at Rummikub. We took Shipwrecked with us and Saturday night ended in the game that just would not end. The trees were turning so the area was rather pretty and with the rain things were fairly quiet.

The girls had a good time and we managed to survive the plane rides, connections and all. Even Graeme was pretty well behaved. Now I just need to shake this cough that's been hounding me. It started before we left but has recently decided to relocate to my chest. Not fun.

Didn't manage to drag my wife to see The Fog so will have to come up with some alternative method of brain-washing.

And that's about all you're gonna get for now. More as I think of it...

No comments: