Thursday, August 09, 2012

Sounds like that tomato-y stuff on burgers

Was pretty under the weather last week. Kids started off with it and were kind enough to share. I'm mostly past it at this point, but other forces are conspiring to keep me not at my best. So, well, don't expect too much. (Of course if you've read anything here before, your hopes should be sufficiently low already)

Avatar was indeed brilliant. Really enjoyed all three seasons. The kids managed to make it through the live action movie, but mostly on the power of mocking. So yay for mocking I guess.

Lovely wife and I have been making our way through The Dresden Files again because it's still amusing. We're also watching Dollhouse. That's a pretty trippy show.

I watched the Samurai trilogy courtesy of the Criterion folks. I rather enjoyed them. I also enjoyed the brief commentary that was on each disc talking about the real Musashi Miyamoto and how his life differed (or mirrored) the movies.

I finished reading The Apocalypse Codex by Charles Stross. More brilliant Laundry Files fun. At this point you either know what the series is and are reading it as well, or me telling you the fourth book is also fun won't matter.

I'm giving the Song of Ice and Fire series another go. I've read Game of Thrones before, but I've decided to read it again just to remind myself of all the little details before jumping into the next one.

So yeah, lots of reading, lots of watching stuff. We did finally manage our game weekend and fun was had. Shadows Over Camelot is a pretty brilliant little cooperative game. We played it twice and I'd have given it a third go, this time throwing in the traitor mechanic. Lots of hard little decisions to make and not enough time to do all the things you need to do. We eked out a victory in Elder Sign (ok I eked out a victory as I was the last one standing). Managed a game of Lords of Waterdeep and I forget what else. Some Hearts I think.

Kids are ready to go back to school and Summer is indeed drawing to a close. I am glad. I'm ready for some cooler temperatures. Although apparently the US has been the hottest it's ever been this year, so who knows what we have heading our way. I will pretend it's Winter though. With cold and some snow.

No comments: