Thursday, July 12, 2012

Ugh, the heat

While my sisters more than likely have it worse temperature wise, I am very tired of the heat. And we're only about half through July. Joy.

Been watching the Alien movies again. I wanted to do this closer to when we saw Prometheus, but oh well. The first one is (sadly) a little on the boring side. I am aware of this and am even known to enjoy slow Ridley Scott sci fi (Blade Runner says hi) but this film could move just a touch faster. There are moments of real beauty and horror and camaraderie, but, well ... still kinda slow. I think due to that it actually holds up pretty well though. Aliens on the other hand is a goofy 80s James Cameron action flick. It may have been new to the space marine scene when it came out, but that milieu has been mined, parodied and generally beaten like a dead horse by film and video games a lot since then and watching it again it suffers some. It does get better towards the end of the flick, but during that first little while I kept expecting the Terminator to show up or something. Cameron definitely has his grubby little prints all over this film. We'll see how the other two go. I'm one of the few people I know that liked the third film and the fourth... well... umm...

I am still trudging through Dan Simmons's The Terror. It is interesting, but that guy needs to learn to write shorter books. Or I need more time to read.

Psst. Quantum Conundrum is really just more Portal. And that makes it awesome. The demo is a lot of fun. I may need to snag this one.

The new Laundry Files novel is out. It's sitting at my desk taunting me. Must. Read. Now.

There has been a distinct lack of board games in my life lately. Fortunately this weekend should remedy that. I believe we will finally get to try Shadows Over Camelot. I am looking forward to that. And more ice cream. And cheeseburgers. Which unfortunately means I really need to get back to exercising. Alas.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

i'm tired of the heat too, 118 is too hot. ready for cool down, maybe i'll move by you ;) otherwise we have till oct probably of heat.