Thursday, April 21, 2011

Bigger on the inside

I don't remember quite how old I was when I started watching Dr Who. Very few of my memories are tied to specific dates. Honestly very few of them are tied to specifics. I remember snatches of things and emotions attached to those bits of ephemera. But I remember watching it. Tom Baker was the current incarnation (he of the scarf and curly hair) and of the companions that orbited around him Sarah Jane was the one that stood out. I have fond memories of those times and, to me, Elisabeth Sladen was the epitome of the Doctor's companion. I loved her - she was funny and smart and cute and tough and you get the idea. Which is why I was terribly saddened earlier this week to learn that she had passed away. I'm not sure why it's hit me the way it has. Part of it is probably the little memories that people are sharing around the internet that match my own. Part of it is nostalgia I suspect. But regardless of why, she will be missed. It was great to see her again on the new series and from the sounds of things I need to give her spinoff a try. Rest in peace Elisabeth, you will be missed. Here's a lovely little song that Neil Gaiman tweeted right after the news broke.

In an obvious segue, the new season of Dr Who starts up this weekend. I'm sure we shall be gathered around the tv to watch. If for no other reason than to see what happens until Neil Gaiman's episode shows up to make little kids hide behind the couch and cry.

We wrapped up the second season of School Rumble. It was a different sort of experience from the first season. There was a very loose plot that wandered through the episodes (Tenma still pines for Karasuma and Harima still pines for Tenma and so on) but for the most part they focused on parodying various sources - Power Rangers, sports shows, I think there was even a Drifting Classroom reference. So if you knew what they were going for it could be pretty amusing. Other times it was just weird. And, of course, in typical romantic comedy fashion, they didn't really resolve any of the relationships. In fact I suspect things were actually a touch murkier than they started out. The manga is probably still ongoing and the anime may well be also. I liked it, lovely wife a bit less so, but I'd certainly be open to more. And if there was some progress, so would lovely wife.

Polished off Making Money by Terry Pratchett. It was typical Discworld fun. I don't know that I have that much more to say about it.

A Happy Easter in advance to all of you.

No comments: