Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Just passing through

Well, in spite of the airline industry I did manage to make it to my Grandmother's funeral. It was really nice to see family again. It was good to touch base with the aunts and uncles and Grandpa. I'm glad he has family close by.

I managed to finish Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi on the plane. I liked the book. Nailer is part of a ship breaking crew - he crawls through wrecked hulks in search of copper and other things that can be sold. After a storm he and a friend run across a wrecked ship that could be the end of all their troubles. Except for the lone survivor. Bacigalupi builds an interesting world that I enjoyed reading about. It did seem like something was missing, I don't know if the end came too quick or the plot was a little too predictable, but I certainly recommend it. (And honestly, as it's a YA book, those slight criticisms only sort of apply.)

Other than that I'm glad to have some time off. With everything that's been going on it's nice to have a break and recharge the batteries. We've been watching the first season of Castle and I have to say, had I actually watched the show from the beginning I'd have liked it a lot better than the random episode I started with. (Oh and the recent X Files inspired episode was pretty brilliant.)

Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Spend some time with family if you can. A good book if you can't.

No comments: