Thursday, November 18, 2010

Elegy in sugar

Well, technically there's a lot I could cover - I finished The Fall - it got better but wasn't great, Dexter season 4 proved John Lithgow is creepy and so on - however my Grandmother passed away the other day, so I've decided to just post briefly about that.

I'll be traveling out to Missouri tomorrow for the funeral and then back on Sunday. So a very quick trip in which to see family and celebrate my Grandmother's life. I'm firmly in the funerals are for the living camp. I've got some pretty fond memories of my grandparents (Suzy Qs still hold a special place in my heart thanks to them) and I'm glad that once her health started going downhill it went pretty quickly. Not a big fan of some of the suffering people have to go through before finally passing on.

So, here's to Grandma! I will always cherish the house with the absolutely ginormous lawn in which we got rides on the riding lawnmower or  the adult sized tricycle with the basket. (And don't forget the time I push started the go kart with my sister behind the wheel. I think it took about three people to chase her down...) I contemplate getting an RV once kids are gone so lovely wife and I can travel about a bit much like my Grandparents did for a while. It was always fine to see them show up in Kansas for the summer. I did not dislike Piper, their Poodle. One of the few dogs to earn my grudging not hate. And I can still hear her voice from the few times we got to talk recently. I wish we'd lived closer to them so we could have gone to visit more. Love you Grandma!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I too love Suzy Q's and Piper. He was a great dog! The tricycle was amazing and I want one. The house and yard was fantastic and visits were great. And don't forget White Castle burgers with contests of who could eat the most. :) Love our Grandma! No recollection of the go-cart ride.