Thursday, September 30, 2010

Atrocities and other good times

I finished up The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross. And I have another favorite new series. This one (as mentioned a post down) is espionage crossed with Lovecraftian nightmares. With some math and science thrown in. Bob Howard is your basic hacker that stumbled on something he shouldn't have. And now he is forced to work for the Laundry saving the world from those entities that think we are delicious and good with ketchup. Tired of his IT desk job he gets sucked into field work. Now if only he can keep it from literally sucking him in. Curse those nasty inter-dimensional monstrosities. It really was a lot of fun to read and I look forward to the other two books in the series. I suspect this is one I'll need to pick up as well.

The Losers was a fun little action movie right up until the end. Mostly because they felt like leaving it wide open for a sequel. A risky move these days. I'd certainly watch another one - the cast was a lot of fun - but would have liked a little more closure from this one. Maybe I'll check out the comic and see if it ties things up any better. (That's a joke, nothing is ever wrapped up in the comic. And if it looks like it has been, they'll retcon it next time.)

Up in the Air suffered from the same problem - I liked it up until the end. And then it went and got depressing...

So last time I mentioned a few games I had my eye on. They have been shoved aside in favor of Mansions of Madness. It looks like a board game version of Call of Cthulhu (an RPG). Sign me up! Cthulhu based minis, tiles, madness, one player against everyone else. Oh yeah. It was originally slated for November, but has already slipped to December I believe. Considering the fact that it's Fantasy Flight, I'll be a touch surprised if it makes it out before year's end, but I suspect the wait will be worth it.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Up In The Air seems like we rented but didn't like. Losers is coming today so we'll see. Ghost Writer was a bit slow and didn't care for the ending but ok movie. Need a really good movie.