Thursday, April 29, 2010

In which the Wind is Named and other things happen

I finished Patrick Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind and it's absolutely brilliant. Without a doubt one of the best books I've read in some time. It's a fantasy novel in which you learn the life story of Kvothe, also known as the Kingkiller. (That's the trilogy name - the Kingkiller Chronicles) This first volume relates his early years with his family, the tragedy that befalls them and the beginning of his schooling. I couldn't put it down and yet didn't want to finish at the same time. I wanted more time with Kvothe and his world. There's magic, music, adventure, humor, tragedy... I could go on. Really, really great. As I mentioned previously I plan on acquiring my own copy to keep.

The next book in the series, A Wise Man's Fear, was recently announced for a March 2011 publication. I can't wait. I certainly wish it was closer, but it sounds like it will be worth the wait.

We recently went through the Bourne trilogy of movies in order to enjoy them on the new TV. I really like the new TV. It makes movie viewing so much nicer. And I still really enjoy the Bourne films. They're great. I miss good action films. I can't really think of anything like them that's come out recently. The new Bond stuff hits that same spot, but it sounds like a new one is pretty distant.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii has finally been vanquished. Well, about as much as it's going to get vanquished. Completing the 8 main worlds opens up a 9th world, but to actually play any of the levels you have to have all the star coins from each of the levels in worlds 1-8. There are three of those bad boys in each level. And typically 10 or so levels per world. And while we've certainly gotten a good chunk of them while just playing through the game I'm not convinced it's worth it to get the remaining coins. We did manage to open the first level for world 9, but that's it.

This is actually an aspect of videogames that needs to go the way of the dodo in my opinion. If you're going to go to the trouble of creating the content, let people play it. I certainly understand rewarding someone for something they've accomplished but hiding and entire world's worth of content behind an extremely annoying collection quest is just brutal. Bad Nintendo! No cookie for you. Other than that the game was pretty brilliant. If you like yelling at each other a lot as you play. I will not count the number of times that I made G or lovely wife cry. But really it was their own fault. Do not stand between me and the power up and do NOT jump on my head plunging me to my death. I don't like it.

Here's to hoping that the snow doesn't kill off our garden. Fortunately we haven't planted some of the tender stuff, but it was a close thing. Apparently the old rule of thumb to wait until after Mother's Day is good advice.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

85 here and lovely. move this way. :) games = screaming here too. they just bring out the beast in us all. i'm reading the City of Bones right now w/ city of ashes and city of glass waiting for me. like them so far.