Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Who can it be?

The Strangers
The Strangers,
originally uploaded by dkun.
Recently watched The Strangers. Also recently read a forum thread where brief movie summaries were captured in Trading Card form. I am stealing this concept because it is awesome. Quite possibly most of my movie reviews will now take this form. So, as for my thoughts on the movie, see accompanying card. (Hint: it was great in that horror movie way) Oh and the picture came from here. Just to keep the internet honest.

You may have heard tale of a tome of eldritch knowledge. A tome thought to cause madness in those incapable of deciphering its strange texts and references to dice made of angles normal mortals cannot comprehend. The Elfish Gene: Dungeons, Dragons and Growing Up Strange is this tome book. I was never as into D&D as the author was, but I could certainly relate to several of the situations he found himself in. As I believe I mentioned before, if you want a look into 80s nerd culture, this is a pretty good start. Chances are you either knew this person or were this person. Liberal doses of humor and good storytelling make this a memoir worth reading. And if you fail to make your save vs reminiscing you may well find yourself picking up a copy of 4th Edition. It really is pretty good...

I can't really be bothered to recap 2008. I'd rather just purge it from system memory and start over. There were certainly some high points (the current job comes to mind) but overall it was a real downer of a year. So we'll simply look forward to 2009 and hope the current weather isn't a forecast for the rest of the year.

No comments: