Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Cinema Paradiso

Have watched several movies in the last few days and several more in the wings.

Constantine is good. I can't really explain why, but I enjoy it thoroughly. Nice little action/horror type movie. Catch it on FX they show it a lot.

21 was really good for the first 2/3rds or so and then devolved into horribly predictable boring-ness. Which is a shame. I wonder if the book is any better? Or the actual story it's based on. It would be interesting to see if the guy's life actually followed tired Hollywood plotline #31.

Dan in Real Life, however, was amazing. Truly great movie. It made lovely wife cry for somewhat unrelated reasons, but I can understand where she's coming from. Steve Carrel did a great job and I suspect he's in some ways similar to Jim Carrey in that he's a better actor when the comedy is understated and the role is more serious. The best part of this movie is that the characters were all real people, they captured the family dynamic perfectly. I spent the first 10 minutes wondering if I'd actually be able to watch the show as the conflict between the father and his daughters was a little too close to home. I think I'll take a nice 10 year vacation while the girls go through their teenage years. Yikes... See this movie.

Twilight mocking is still in full force here. My favorite piece of news is that the books are badly written versions of whatever Bella happens to be reading in High School that year. Seriously? How some people get published boggles the mind. I don't mind retellings, I'm reading one right now - The Graveyard Book is Neil Gaiman's take on The Jungle Book, but it has good writing and an original twist on the source material. Twilight offers, well, sparkles I guess. Although if you're going to have a vampire story, you might want to actually have some vampires in it... Just sayin'. Oh and this and that. I'd link to the Twilight drinking game, but you can only shoot so many fish in the barrel...

So on to more random movie viewings. A Spanish heist/caper film, another horror movie, British sitcom featuring Simon Pegg. Typical goodness.

5 comments:

J~ said...

Wow! You really are special. love your Twilight mocks...oh wait! I LIKE the BOOKS!

d said...

Wow, your Twilight sense must have been tingling, this post only just went up. ^_^

Rachel said...

well my vampy sense is not tingling so i'm sure i'm late. I love these books! I love the sappiness and will read them over and over again. You are just being an obnoxious older/ are you wiser? brother. I'm super excited for the movie and I'll like it just to make you mad. :)

Rachel said...

Horrible! You evil brother of mine. ok so the jokes were funny but still, you're breaking my heart. :)

d said...

See, if you were a real vampire, that might actually accomplish something. I'm sure the Twilight "vampires" would simply glitter. Slowly.