Thursday, July 21, 2011

More noise than signal

Kiss Me Deadly is a great example of film noir. Detective Mike Hammer gets roped into a case by a dame and then stumbles his way through a plot that ends with quite a bang. If you like old detective movies, this one fits the bill. Some truly wonderful moments in this one. Track it down.

Hatchet was a decent old school slasher. I'm beginning to like Adam Green. And it had some really funny lines. It would have fit right in with anything we watched in High School.

Jo Nesbo's The Snowman was an interesting Scandinavian thriller. It follows detective Harry Hole as he confronts Norway's first serial killer. Or at least first acknowledged one. I still haven't read Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but I can see why there's some appeal to foreign crime fiction. This one had a nicely escalating plot and some pretty dramatic moments. Worth reading.

I've been hearing the siren song of the Dungeon Crawl of late and so I've gotten back to Dungeon Hunter: Alliance - still lots of fun it is. Although I do not approve of giving the enemies bows. It's my job to stand back and pick them off, not the other way around. And those magic users!

My sisters have started the campaign to try and convince me to drive down to Arizona for my birthday this year early. I remain pretty steadfastly unconvinced of the merits of this campaign. Mass chaos and uncertain sleeping conditions are more bugs than features. Although, yes, it would be nice to see everyone. We should just meet in Moab and take over the Aarchway Inn again.

Fortunately it's a three day weekend. I'm feeling a strong need to sleep through it...

2 comments:

J~ said...

Really those are all excuses. Moab...that is so not half way and I didn't know you won the lottery to afford a hotel for all of us.... remember I am sucking Dad dry at the moment... I could go for Vegas though. You would still have to pay for hotel and food... so that means we should all just be here! The house is big. You would get my room... no more excuses!!!

Rachel said...

The drive isn't that bad. Plus you pick up Kaijsa and Kira and Kaijsa can help y'all drive and I'll chip in for Gas which makes it cheaper for you. My house has plenty of room and beds so there are no excuses that way. My house is bigger than hotel rooms. It's good for the kids to get together and for us to bond too! Stop murmuring and just come!