Thursday, November 19, 2009

In which I talk about symphonies and serial killers and sundries

The best way I can sum up the difference between Play! and Video Games Live is as follows: VGL is video game music at the symphony. Play is the symphony with video game music. One is spectacle and energy and music, the other is music and culture and decorum. So they each serve a bit of a niche, but one is a little more fun than the other (VGL). Which is a long way to say deepest thanks to the letter 'r' for a wonderful birthday present for lovely wife and myself. We did indeed have a great time and I can recommend either show for those of you that enjoy music and are interested in hearing some of the great pieces of video game history played by a full orchestra. (The Sonic Suite was especially nice as it was a slightly slower paced rendition of the music that created a nice counterpoint to the video clips shown.) The funny thing about those shows is that they make me want to go back through the video games we have and play them all over again. Which is not likely to happen. Alas. Perhaps when I've retired.

We finished off Season 3 of Dexter and it was good. I don't really have much to say about it other than that. Dexter managed to make a friend, lose a friend, say his wedding vows, that sort of thing (I figure the statute of limitations on season 3 spoilers is over as season 4 is in swing).

I've probably finished some books since last time. Hmm. Looking for Calvin and Hobbes by Nevin Martell is one reporter's search for Bill Watterson and a look at the comic that shaped the comics page for a decade. I really like Calvin and Hobbes and there was some really interesting information in the book. Definitely worth reading.

Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett is the latest Discworld novel and I don't really need to say too much more than that. If you like the series, you'll like the book. Football (soccer for you uncouth Americans) comes to Ankh Morpork and pretty much everybody gets involved. The big theme for the book is class/racism. Probably not the place to start if you're new to Pratchett (I recommend any of the night watch books) but certainly a great read if you are.

Stitches by David Small is a little hard to discuss. On the one hand it's one of the most powerful books I've read, helped in no small part by the fact that it's a graphic novel. On the other hand it's one of the most horrifying things I've read as well. I don't know that I'll ever read it again, but I am glad I read it once. It's basically an autobiography of a cartoonist. And if you believe that all great art is born of suffering, David Small is probably the poster child for that tenet. Given throat cancer by his radiologist Father, David wakes up from surgery one day a virtual mute, not knowing why his voice is gone or what's really happened to him, thanks to a very dysfunctional family. As mentioned, it's powerful stuff told remarkably well, but know what you're in for.

Thanksgiving week draws nigh and I have the whole week off. I am looking forward to it. I hope to accomplish some serious vegging. We shall see.

For those of you with a Wii that's connected to the internet, Nintendo has started offering demos of Wiiware games. You can find them in the Wii shop channel. G has become addicted to the Pokemon Rumble demo and I rather like Bit Trip Beat. Nyx's Quest is pretty good too. There are a couple others at the moment. They're free and if you've ever wondered what sorts of things you can buy off their download service this is a good chance to look. (I'm also strangely addicted to Nintendo Week the little show they put out once a week talking about what's coming out. The hosts are fun (if goofy) and it can be in interesting look into the world of Nintendo.)

So, have a great holiday. Hopefully you can spend it with family or those that are important to you.

No comments: