Thursday, November 12, 2009

In which I play with portability and talk about Ra

We had Staff Development Day here at ye Trusty Olde Library yesterday. It was a nice day and things were learned. One of the classes I attended was on portable apps. So I have tricked out my flash drive with a nice little suite of Windows apps. I'll probably do the same with another drive for Mac apps at some point. And never install anything ever again. Well, not much anyway. I really like open source goodies. Between, portable apps and online offerings, there are very few programs I'll probably need. iTunes and a couple others I suppose.

As I managed to meet a weight loss goal, I treated myself to a new board game. Picked up Ra: the Dice Game. It's a lot of fun. Even if I apparently suck at it. Even McK typically does better than me. Although the letter 'r' is the undisputed master. You have 5 dice, you roll them in a Yahtzee-ish manner (keeping the ones you want and re-rolling others) and then use the results to advance your markers along the various score tracks (thematically you're building up the Egyptian civilization along the Nile, practically you're moving some little wooden cubes around. Mmmm wooden cubes). It certainly takes some planning and some luck. Depending on how you roll, rounds may end rather quickly (the sun faces on the dice advance the round timer). It's pretty easy to pick up once you understand how the different tracks work and how they score. You play three rounds. It's fun. Apparently I kind of like some dice games (not a fan of Yahtzee...). Lovely wife and McK both give it a thumbs up.

Ugh, weather changes have caused a rash of head colds in casa del 'd'. I'm about ready to lop my head off. Lovely wife is about a step or two ahead of me. Not fun.

We're currently making our way through Dexter season 3. It's been good so far.

Well, I meant to throw another last line in here (lovely wife asked for one) but I am beat. Stupid head cold. So I'll leave that to look forward to next time. Or when I remember to do it. A shout out to littlest sis embarking upon massage therapy as a new job path. Good luck. And we're currently looking forward to seeing Play next week. It's sorta like Video Games Live. Should be fun.

No comments: