Thursday, April 02, 2009

Trudging towards the future

Didn't really participate in any April's Fool pranks yesterday. This was my favorite Thinkgeek April Fool's product. And it's good to see that in the tradition of the 8 bit tie, they are going to try and make them. Needs me one of them yo.

We had a fun little roundtable at the Library yesterday focused on books we didn't like. There were quite a few (and we did discuss Twilight and Stephanie Meyer a touch). My favorite Meyer related bit was that the Library keeps two recommendation lists - people that like vampire stories and people that like Stephanie Meyer stories. There you go, further proof that THEY'RE NOT VAMPIRES. This cannot be stated enough. I wonder if the blink tag still works... NOT VAMPIRES Oh it does. This is good.

The story I sort of got around to voicing as one I didn't care for was Blindness I suspect you can track down my thoughts on it in the archives. That's right, it's all about the laziness on these here intarwebs.

What was interesting about the conversation were some of the reasons behind why people didn't like various stories. Things like bad endings, to not wrapping up the plot to just plain poor writing (*cough*Twilight*cough* ^_^). My own dislike for Blindness stemmed from an odd writing style that was sort of helpful and sort of not and a lot of reader manipulation. The author had a story to tell, realistic characters be damned. It was also interesting to see at what point people would just stop reading and move on. Or if they'd finish. I'd say I've finally moved into the move on camp. I have far too many things I want to read to suffer through something that isn't that interesting/good. Even for mocking purposes.

In an unrelated moment, this is funny. Because it's true. Hee hee.

Apparently I need to brush up on my sci-fi reading. I was a bit hard pressed to name some good starting points yesterday. I used to read quite a bit, but I guess it has been a while. Strange. I fell back on the always reliable William Gibson, but I need a few more guns in the arsenal. I may have to check out my Goodreads list again and see what's in there. Or what should be. I may also have to mess around with the shelving there. Maybe create some custom shelves... Cause I have lots of time to do that. Really.

I am still in search of a good fantasy themed board game. You lot are not helping. Apparently this is a difficult topic. While not as hotly contested as some wargames, it looks like fantasy games are a battle zone. This does not bode well for my indecisive nature.

Favorite new recipe: Tangy Shredded Chicken Sandwich Thing. They're great. Warm or cold. Fresh or as leftovers. Pure Yumminess. On a bun.

Must get thoughts sorted on square foot garden. Will need to get that going soon. Also really need to get this sprinkler hookup thing taken care of. And we're contemplating refinancing the house due to the lovely economic disaster. Too many things to tackle.

We're about to finish off Season 3 of Case Closed. Kids are really enjoying it. I am constantly amused as I watch the girls develop their reading/viewing tastes. McK certainly has a thing for mysteries. M isn't too far behind. Although I suspect she likes fantasy a touch more. G just goes along for the ride. Unless there are dinosaurs. That's just a given. We'll probably suffer through watch Mummy 3 this weekend. Hmm and High School Musical 3 come to think of it. Apparently it's a 3 sort of weekend.

Well, I will close this off with props to lovely wife's cousin for the curry packets. We had a rather nice Chicken Korma for dinner. Mmmm curry....

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I can't stand curry. Kait reads and the babies like books (wish the'd stop destroying them) and wish I could get favorite niece to read. Hmmm oh well. No time to read for me but am trying to get through the Sisterhood of Traveling Pants. Still like Twilight. Have heather email me the chicken tangy thingy recipe. HSM 3 ok, mummy 3 ok too I think, can't remember but we do own it. No game ideas sorry.

d said...

The link for the recipe is in the post silly. We got it off the web.

Rachel said...

Sounds way too spicy for us.